The dying of a person on the Burning Man competition within the US state of Nevada is being handled as suspicious, authorities say.
Shane Billingham, 33, was discovered unresponsive in his automobile at round 18:30 native time (00:30 GMT) on Thursday.
Mr Billingham, a New Zealand nationwide, had “toxic” ranges of carbon monoxide in his blood, police mentioned.
Bystanders reportedly tried CPR on Mr Billingham earlier than paramedics arrived.
He was taken to a medical tent, the place he was later pronounced useless.
Pershing County Sheriff’s Workplace mentioned it was investigating the dying as suspicious.
- Are the super-rich ruining Burning Man?
- What does it take to run the Burning Man competition?
A autopsy examination discovered Mr Billingham had “a focus of carbon monoxide in his blood which might be thought of toxic to human life”.
“Preliminary toxicology confirmed the presence of managed substances to be an exacerbating issue,” the Washoe County health worker’s workplace mentioned in a press release.
A makeshift memorial for Mr Billingham has been arrange at Beats Boutique, the camp the place he was staying on the competition.
One in every of Mr Billingham’s pals, Steve MacWithey, informed the Reno Gazette Journal he was “one of the best people I’ve ever known”.
Mr Billingham’s sister has launched a web-based fundraising web page to assist with the prices of bringing his physique house.
Burning Man is a music and humanities competition held yearly within the Black Rock Desert of northwest Nevada, roughly 160km (100 miles) away from Reno.
Happening between 25 August and September 2, the competition – attended by tens of 1000’s of individuals – describes itself as “a short lived metropolis devoted to neighborhood, artwork, self-expression, and self-reliance”.
Extra on Burning Man
- Can dusty Burning Man bikes assist hurricane victims?
- Burning Man competition founder dies